Here is another link to a video detailing some information about the new book from the Waters, Unspoken Gift.
The newly published book (sold on Amazon and Barnes & Noble) immediately stirred up controversy, as the video will summarize.
Key points about the book release are:
- The book is full of art clearly made by the mother, who refuses to provide any proof or authentication with videos or photos that any of the paintings were made by Candy, even though thousands of people have requested this as a simple means of solving the issue.
- Sandy Waters saw that reviews on Amazon were questioning the source of the art, and then solicited good reviews, even resorting to make fake positive reviews herself with aliases and to “argue” with critical ones through comments. She also sought to constantly have any reviews removed that weren’t positive.
- When the reviews became overwhelmingly negative, Sandy Waters posted photos of her child in a non-smiling pose claiming that the bad reviews were making Candy sad and even possibly suicidal. However, it is clear that the “sad Candy” photos were from the same photo session made a few days earlier when the book was initially announced, and not as an actual reaction to hearing negative things.
- People questioned why the child was even exposed to anything negative when the parents have full control over what their child sees and hears in the house.
- The company making the book stepped in to clarify that they were strictly the distributor of the book and not the publisher. They stated that in no way do they confirm or endorse the source of the art in the book.
- Amazon coded the book as “unavailable”, although the Waters attempted to restate this as being “sold out” to make it sound as though it was gone due to being so popular as opposed to being pulled from availability due to controversy.
- Many facebook users have banded together to show concern for Candy. Although Sandy Waters keeps stating that she and her family are being cyberbullied, it is clear that the people who are speaking out do so with genuine concern for Candy’s well being and to prevent her from what appears to be exploitation. There is no bullying of Candy Waters. No one has called Candy any names or directed anything negative at her. No one has talked to her or contacted her. There is an enormous show of compassion for her only. It is the parents whose actions and behavior is in question.
- Many have asked Sandy, “If you are concerned that your daughter is upset, why are you telling her anything negative from the internet? Why are you on the internet at all when you should be offline helping your child? Why is each post about your daughter’s emotions surrounded by requests to keep buying more merchandise?” (Their questions quickly get deleted.)
- Sandy attacked one critic, claiming that they called Candy “retarded”. When the person said that they would never call someone that, and especially since they are a parent of a special needs child themselves, it would be especially wrong. Sandy claimed to have screenshots of them using “the R word” about Candy. The critic demanded proof and for a screenshot to be posted. Then, nothing. No screenshot or additional contact, and the commenter was blocked by Sandy Waters. (This conversation is detailed on the Waters Autism Artist Scam page on Facebook.) However, Sandy kept claiming in her own posts that “the cyber bullies and trolls even called Candy retarded”, which is completely fabricated.
Screen shots of many of these comments,topics, and posts appear on the page Waters Autism Artist Scam.
***Please note that the URL begins with the letters HTTPS, indicating that it is a secure link. However, if you don’t wish to click the link you can alternatively go to Facebook and do a search for Waters Autism Artist Scam and the video will be in the album where videos are stored.